Altar of Freedom "2nd Bull Run"

 One of the Largest Battles we played in the early days was the Battle of 2nd Bull Run.  Now, I knew exactly how this battle was going to play out but poor James and Aidan did not know the history of 2nd Bull Run and they did not know that a most unfortunate surprise was going to take place.  Now this is the first time I made a change to the Scenario from the rules of "Altar of Freedom."  Since I was using Block paper for maps I used my 1st Bull Run Map and Overlaid the 2nd Bull Run battlefield giving us a larger L shaped table to play on.  Allowing for more room to maneuver.   James and Aidan were playing the Union and began their initial deployment.


Then I deployed Jackson's men in the Rail road cut as was their historical deployment.
The Stage was set, Aidan was moving his troops to my left towards DC to protect DC and to try to find my flank while James stayed in my front to keep Jackson's troops occupied.  Now you can imagine if Aidan took half of the union army away from combat what was about to fall onto poor James.
Longstreet's Men crashed into James exposed flanks and I crushed 1/2 of the Union Army with ease.  It was so devastating that Aidan was unable to react and redeploy to help his fledgling ally.  It was over for the union.  The results were more devastating that the original battle.  Jackson and Lee would have been proud.  This would be one of the greatest and one of the last "Altar of Freedom" games we would play.  But it is very memorable.



Comments

Popular Posts