Black Powder "Picket's Charge"

 Growing up less than 45 minutes away from Gettysburg PA, it is not so farfetched to believe I spent many weekends on the battlefield imaging what it would be like during July of 1863.  And because I grew up near Gettysburg I will say something very PA and very controversial.  Gettysburg was more important than Vicksburg (it wasn't but I have my PA pride to maintain).  So recreating the Battle of Gettysburg and specifically Pickett's charge was on my radar.  We used every Epic Battle Scale Miniature I had and some blue filled in for the gray to make up the difference.  I was the Game Manager for this epic battle.  The table was a 9 foot by 6 foot space.  Aidan and Kenny were the Confederates while James had the Job of holding the small clump of trees as Hancock.  


Oh and I cannot forget Peter was there to 'help' his daddy set up.




The Battle began with fierce Cannon fire on both sides.  James ability to weaken the approaching rebel infantry was obvious so Aidan began to counter fire to displace the guns on the ridge.  And in our recreation.  The confederates did not over shoot.  They drove off the guns and the infantry had a chance (sort of).


Aidan and Kenny broke some of the union line but it was not enough.  After a 2 hour game.  History repeated itself.  The confederates got to the wall but no further.  In the end.  We all had a great time.





Comments

Popular Posts