Snappy Nappy "1812 Russian Western Theatre" Historicon 2023

 This Battle Report is one of a series of games that I played at Historicon this past year.  I played my first Snappy Nappy Game which I loved dearly and thought was one of the best games that I ever Played.  I was designated as a Bavarian General on the French side for the 1812 Western Theatre of the Russian Campaign.  The "Non" Napoleon part of the Invasion of Russia.  There is a full review of the entire game on the Blunders on the Danube Blog (Big Picture).  But I am only Sharing my side of the story.




Historically the Bavarians did not start the campaign right away so we had to wait over an hour before we received orders to move.  We were the Corps in Reserve and I was in the front order of march.  My troops were in column on the road ready to go.  When I received the Orders I turned left to the North west.  Our trip had begun.


The Column for our corps stretched across most of the table.  I had the smaller division with 5 infantry brigades and 2 batteries of artillery.  The 2nd division had a larger corps of 7 brigades and 3 batteries.  Our commanding officer kept the Cav as his personal guard.


We arrived at Disna on the south side of the river and had to hurry up and wait.  Just like the army to command us to hurry up and wait.  Since I was in the lead I got a bad feeling and did not want to be caught in column on the road.  I ordered my corps to cross the river and take a defensive position guarding the road to the rear of the main army.  I am glad I did because a Cassuk Cav division ended up on the table scouting the rear of our army.  Since I was ready in position they retreated immediately.  My instinct was to chase down the Enemy Cav to engage them but I was given orders to stay from the French CinC.  If I was allowed to pursue them I would have saved a French division from getting surrounded.  But I obeyed orders.  I wish I would have broken orders and given chase.


The Bavarian Corps was split in 2.  The larger Division went to Join the Main Battle at Wolinski while I was ordered with the Cav to save a French Corps cut off at Slabki from the main army.  I arrived on the table in good order but I found out that it was too late.  The Enemy Cav I was not allowed to chase down had surrounded my French Comrades and destroyed them before I could enter Battle.  I found myself outnumbered 3 to 1 and decided to maintain the integrity of my division and fell back to a defensive Position.


Outside of Daniwoski I Made my stand on the side of a river blocking the bridge and providing the rear guard for the army.  The Russians pursued me and when they discovered my strong defensive position they too retreated from the field.  That was the end of the game of cat and mouse.  I saw little combat but was in a game of maneuver going from town to town trying to get an edge on the Russians.  It was an incredible game and I loved it a lot.  








Comments

Popular Posts